With our recent rains, we have had mushrooms popping up all over our yard. What would happen if our dogs ingested any? Are they toxic?
Not So Mellow about Mushrooms in The Heights
Dear Not So Mellow,
You’re absolutely correct to be concerned about your dogs eating mushrooms. While many of the mushrooms that grow in our yards would be relatively harmless if consumed, 1% of mushrooms that have been known to grow in yards are extremely toxic and deadly. Among the most deadly are the Amanita phalloides “Death Cap Mushroom”, Amanita ocreata “Angel of Death”, Lepiota “False Parasol”, Galerina amanita, Muscaria “Fly Agaric,” and Amanita gemmata “Jeweled Death Cap”. The problem with many of these toxic mushrooms is that they give off a fishy odor, which entices a dog to eat it.
Symptoms of mushroom poisoning
Symptoms of mushroom toxicity include vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, lethargy, excessive drooling, jaundice, and seizures. If you feel as though your pet has mushroom poisoning, get him to a vet immediately and try to take one of the mushrooms with you, so that the vet can determine if it’s a toxic mushroom.
Just to be safe, it’s a good idea to remove all mushrooms from your pet’s yard. Even in this rainy and wet weather pattern, make it a habit to go “mushroom hunting” regularly, removing any and all mushrooms that might entice Fido to have a nibble.
Are grocery store mushrooms safe?
And, a bit of good news: you CAN serve your dog mushrooms from the grocery store. The only issue would be that dogs shouldn’t have garlic or onions (both of which are toxic to dogs and both of which are commonly used to saute with mushrooms), so make sure that you give them the mushroom plain and raw, if you must. Or, better yet: avoid giving your dogs mushrooms all together. Mushrooms really pose no nutritional benefit to your pooch. A much safer, healthier, and yummier alternative would be carrots or apples. Trust me–your dog will thank you!
Luck of the Irish
Looking for something fun to do to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day on Sunday, March 17? Head to Holler Brewing Company (2206 Edwards St. Suite A, 77007) for “St. Pawtrick’s Day.” Friends For Life will be on hand with adoptable pets and a portion of proceeds raised that day will go to the shelter. For more information, go to www.friends4life.org.
Do you have a question for Tabby? If so, email her at email@example.com.
Pet of the Week
This big, ol lug of a boy is about 2 years old and was dumped at an apartment complex, where he found himself hanging out with a rough crowd (the ferals). Luckily, someone noticed that Oscar wasn’t feral, scooped him up, and put him in a foster home, where he is awaiting his new beginning. Oscar can be a little shy at first but then soaks up all of the attention you’re willing to give him. To learn more, go to www.saveacatrescue.org.