By The Office of Alan Rosen
Harris County Precinct 1 Constable Alan Rosen wants to ensure you enjoy your treats and avoid being tricked this Halloween!
To that end, Precinct 1 has compiled a checklist of safety tips, which will help you ensure the safety of your entire family on the night of Thursday, Oct. 31.
Please follow the below advice and, as always, if something looks suspicious, please let us know.
You can always call the Precinct 1 dispatch at 713-755-7628. In an emergency, dial 9-1-1.
HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS:
• Carry a flashlight or glow stick
• Beware of registered sex offenders in the area (visit https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffenderRegistry/Search)
• If possible, accompany children
• Make sure children stop at familiar homes with the outside porch lights ON
• Discard any homemade, unwrapped or suspicious-looking treats
• Do not any approach ANY vehicle, occupied or not
• Do not take shortcuts through backyards or alleys
• If there are no sidewalks, walk facing oncoming traffic
• Always walk in groups
• Know the route your children should be taking
• Create a safe trick-or-treating route and set a time limit for them to be out
• Share your locations with your friends/family using your mobile device GPS location sharing feature
• Make sure your family has a plan if the group is separated
• Make sure your child has emergency contacts memorized
• Use reflective tape on costumes and trick-or-treat bags for added visibility