Acres Homes homeowners fighting against a potential concrete batch plant in their neighborhood may have some hope yet.
During an Oct. 9 meeting, commissioners for the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) announced they were granting six residents impacted by Soto Ready Mix’s proposed plant at 3411 De Soto St. the opportunity for contested case hearings with the State Office of Administrative Hearings.
One of the granted requests was made by David and Donna Williams, who live next door to the proposed site. To have standing for a contested case hearing, a person must live within a quarter-mile of a proposed site.
“We’re thrilled the commissioners granted our request for a contested case hearing,” Donna Williams said. “The battle continues, but we are cautiously optimistic.”
During the upcoming hearings, for which no date has been set, a judge will listen to arguments from impacted homeowners before making a recommendation to the TCEQ commissioners. Commissioners are not required to take action based on the judge’s ruling, however, leaving the results still very much in limbo.
Earlier this year, TCEQ executive director Toby Baker ruled that Soto Ready Mix’s batch plant application meets the requirements of applicable law.
State Rep. Jarvis Johnson, who represents Acres Homes, called the upcoming case hearings “pivotal” in the fight to protect the neighborhood.
“There will be negative health outcomes if this batch plant is granted their permit, and I will continue to work with my colleagues on the local, state and federal level, along with my constituents to have this permit denied,” Johnson said in a statement released Tuesday. “My office has been working for almost two years against this batch plant, and we will continue to fight until we are successful.”