The City of Houston announced its second COVID-19 death on Saturday as well as a spike in cases of the upper-respiratory disease caused by the new strain of coronavirus.
Mayor Sylvester Turner also said during a visit to the city’s testing site at Butler Stadium that anyone who has symptoms of COVID-19, which include fever, cough and shortness of breath, is eligible to be tested at the free, drive-through site. Testing previously was limited to healthcare workers and first responders, people at least 65 years old and those with underlying health conditions. People in those groups can continue to be tested.
Those who wish to be tested at the city’s site must be screened by calling the Houston Health Department’s COVID-19 call center at 832-393-4220 between 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
Harris County has two free testing sites. To be screened, visit ReadyHarris.org or call 832-927-7575.
In addition to announcing the second COVID-19 death among Houston residents, a woman in her 70s with underlying health conditions, the city said its number of cases increased from 69 to 232 on Saturday. Harris County has reported 160 other cases and one death.
“Our city unfortunately will likely see more deaths as this pandemic touches the lives of more people in our community,” Dr. David Persse of the Houston Health Department said in a news release. “We urge people to follow the ‘Stay at Home, Work Safe’ order to lower the number of deaths and illnesses as much as possible.”
According to the World Health Organization, more than 571,000 people have been infected with COVID-19 in 201 different countries. There are more than 85,000 cases in the U.S. The disease has led to more than 26,000 deaths globally and more than 1,200 in the U.S.